Saturday 22 September 2012

A Lovely Day in Staithes





We spent a lovely, sunny day in Staithes today, for the Festival of Arts and Heritage, exploring lots of different art in 45 pop up galleries in local cottages and public spaces.  The town was very busy, lots of happy, excited people packing into the cottages to look at the work and I am sure, like me, glad to be able to take a peek at the interiors of some of the beautiful cottages!




One of our favourites is photographer Ian Burdall, whose work is very interesting.  I bought some cards from him.  Then we found a printmaker called Cath Brooke, based in Leeds who had a lovely etching, the result of a collaboration with 2 other people based on a roller coaster ride, which as I was so taken with it, and we live just up the hill from Flamingo Land, and it was very cheap, I had to buy!  I also purchased a mono print by Stef Mitchel, one of her field edge series, gutsy yet fragile at the same time.  These will look great on our walls when the house finally gets finished.



Other favourites, from whom we purchased cards or had lovely conversations with:
Bridget Wilkinson, Joanne Wishart, Helen Bowes, Richard Snowden and jeweller Flick.

It was a refreshing respite from the stress of our refurbishment project; if feels like we have been on holiday, so well worth taking a break from the muck and dust at home.

I think this is a brilliant enterprise, everyone we talked to was very enthusiastic and I hope it continues from this inaugural year.  Well done to everyone involved!


 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for coming to see me in Staithes. Really like the look of your stuff, I think we sing from the same hymn sheet when it comes to texture. Like it :) Ian Burdall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Ian, it was interesting to talk to you. It is always great to connect with people through our work, especially other artists.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete