Tuesday 11 March 2014

Artists' Book Fair at Tetley, Leeds


My stash of purchases


In the run up to w0budong, I gave myself the afternoon off last Saturday to visit the Artists' Book Fair at the newly opened Tetley building in Leeds.

I am so glad I did; it was fabulous!  Lots of stalls, containing a vast array of different approaches to the artists' book all manned by friendly, informed artists and in some cases, their help mates. It was very busy and I was shuffling round at one point because of the throng.  I bought four pieces, one of them is a gift for someone else but the three I now proudly own are wonderful pieces to add to my tiny collection.



 Even Heather's business card was beautiful.









Given my current interest in textual work and Chinese calligraphy as well as found marks on surfaces that seem to express meaning, (all relating to the exhibition w0budong, that we finished installing in Manchester today); I had to buy this beautiful little book by Heather Chou. It is made from paper containing Chinese calligraphy which is then laser cut and hand stitched. This one is the Chinese character for Spring; beautiful!

I did not have time to look properly at the accompanying exhibitions and I forgot to purchase the catalogue but I came away feeling quite elated after conversing with artists and visitors alike. There was a really friendly, positive buzz about the place.

Stef Mitchell had a lovely stand there, and she has managed to get me a catalogue, for which I am really grateful.  

As I write this, I am in Salford staying with my daughter so do not have to hand the names of the makers of the other books I purchased.  I'll add more photos and details of the other books when I get back to North Yorkshire.

No comments:

Post a Comment